The Public Advocacy Officer manages and executes Muslim Advocates’ media communications efforts and initiatives, and supports broader advocacy campaigns and initiatives.
This hire will be based in our Washington, DC office and report to our Public Advocacy Director. The Public Advocacy Department is the communications and campaigns arm of Muslim Advocates that engages with the public, visions and executes public pressure campaigns, and grows the public profile of the organization.
The Public Advocacy Officer will collaborate across departments to promote the organization’s work, help manage and execute public pressure campaigns, and advance the interests of American Muslims through strategic communications and media engagement. We are seeking a talented and fast writer who is comfortable taking on a wide range of tasks, from the high-level to the mundane. The Public Advocacy Officer should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, comfortable working collaboratively, and can thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manages the media outreach of the organization in collaboration with key stakeholders and consultants.
- Drafts, edits, and distributes compelling content including statements, releases, op eds, and emails.
- Manages and executes the organization’s rapid response efforts with the media.
- Liaises with development, legal, community engagement, and program staff to add media and campaign components and add value to organization-wide efforts.
- Serves as a backup for digital communications colleagues.
- Work experience: At least 2-3 years of experience in communications or media relations at an advocacy organization.
- Skills: Excellent oral and written communications skills with strong editing skills required; proven ability to handle multiple projects, meet deadlines and work in a fast paced environment with great attention to detail. Experience building relationships and placing stories and op-eds, and successfully booking people on news programs. Initiative, energy, and judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; highly organized and interest in civil rights issues. Can-do spirit and a sense of humor.
About Muslim Advocates:
Muslim Advocates is a leading national legal advocacy and educational nonprofit organization founded in 2005 and operating in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. Our mission is to use legal advocacy, policy engagement, and education to promote and protect equality, liberty and justice for Americans of all faiths, and to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life. For more information, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience. Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Click here to apply: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/Zuy0vEj97J/Public-Advocacy-Officer