Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks a dedicated Program Intern to join our team in Oakland, CA. Muslim Advocates’ mission is to promote freedom, justice and equality for all through legal advocacy, policy engagement, and civic education, and by serving as a legal resource to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life.
The Program Intern will work under the supervision of our Special Counsel for Anti-Muslim Bigotry. Projects will include community outreach, research, event support, and other administrative duties.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support community outreach efforts.
- Research pertinent issues affecting the American Muslim community.
- Provide support for events and community meetings.
- Join community calls and webinars and prepare minutes/reports for staff.
- Participate in team meetings and strategy discussions.
- Work with deputy director on special projects.
- Enrolled in a part-time or full-time college or university
- Ability to commute efficiently to the Oakland office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills – experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Macintosh OS database applications
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience working with grassroots organizations and conducting outreach is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with American Muslim and/or interfaith community is a plus
Flexible, based on class schedule. Generally part-time for fall and spring semester applicants, 10 – 20 hours per week. Full-time for summer semester. Stipend available.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, a list of references, a writing sample, along with a cover letter describing your interest in the Muslim Advocates mission, your skills, and experience. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: “Internship Application.” Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.